The Embedded Working Group Newsletter - 82018-07-29
This is the eighth newsletter of the Embedded WG where we highlight new progress, celebrate cool projects, thank the community, and advertise projects that need help!
If you want to mention something in the next newsletter, make sure to leave a comment on the issue.
- libm, the
no_stdport of MUSL's math library led by japaric has finished its' first release! It can now be used by embedded (or
wasm!) targets that need support for math functions.
- droogmic is working on microrust, a port of japaric's Discovery book for the BBC MicroBit, based on the Nordic nRF51
- Hideki Sekine and Vaishali Thakkar have landed initial support for an Embedded CI Harness in the
rust-lang/rustrepo as part of the Increasing Rust's Reach project. This opens the door for tests that will help prevent regressions in
cargofor ARM Cortex-M targets
- CMSIS intrinsics for ARM Cortex processors have landed in stdsimd. Check out the the docs in nightly soon† for info, thanks to Paolo Teti and japaric!
- Ashley Williams released cargo-generate, a CLI tool for generating Cargo projects from a template, reducing the need to manually write boilerplate code. If you write some embedded templates, let us know!
†: The CMSIS intrinsics will show up in the docs after the next successful nightly build (after 2018-07-30)
If you have an embedded project or blog post you would like to have featured in the Embedded WG Newsletter, make sure to mention it on the tracking issue for the next newsletter, we would love to show it off!
- David McGillicuddy has released his crate, eight-segment, an
embedded-haldriver for displaying digits on 8 segment displays like the HDSP H-101
- James Waples announced the newest release of his embedded-graphics library in a tweet. This version fixes some small issues, as well as provides functionality to save memory
- Mart Roosmaa released bolos-rs, a 3rd party Rust SDK for the Ledger Nano cryptocurrency wallet. Check out his Medium post for more info!
- The cc1101 crate can now recieve radio packets! Check out the reddit post by Daniel Svensson, as well as his blog post for more info
embedded-hal Ecosystem Crates
As part of the Weekly Driver Initiative, crates that are part of the
embedded-hal ecosystem are now tracked in the Awesome Embedded Rust repository. Here is a current snapshot of what is available there:
|HAL Impl Crates||released||11||0|
|Board Support Crates||released||8||+2|
|Driver Crates Released||released||11||+2|
|Driver Crates WIP||WIP||35||+5|
- The Embedded-WG is looking for someone to write an RFC for ARM Intrinsics to get them stabilized
- Jonathan Pallant is looking for ideas to implement for the Monotron project. Check out the monotron blog post for more details!
- The libm project is looking for help with refactoring in order to better support chips without hardware double-floating-point support